Monday, June 18, 2012

Ice Cream makes everything better

In the middle of the night last night I was in excruciating pain, and this morning I was forced to call in sick to work because of said pain.  I was in bed for nearly another six hours after taking some tylenol with codeine and anti-nausea medicine.  As if that physical pain wasn't enough, when I woke up I found out that my family underwent quite a difficult circumstance today.  Details are a little too fresh to talk about at the moment, but I have to say it has probably been the single hardest thing my family has ever had to deal with.

All that said... I'm making homemade ice cream.  Well homemade Gelato and Coconut ice cream to be exact because when life gives you lemons you make lemonade and when life gives you hailstorms you make ice cream.  Not only will this comfort my soul it will offer a distraction from my physical, mental, and emotional anguish.

So anyway here it is what I did on possibly one of the worst days ever...   I made my own recipe for Dark Chocolate Raspberry Gelato (with fresh raspberries, yum) and Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream.

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Gelato

2 cups Whole Milk
1 cup Half & Half (to keep the fat content lower)
1/2 cup of sugar
3 oz of Dark Chocolate (I actually combined 72% and 55% dark chocolate).
12 oz Fresh Raspberries

1. Melt Chocolate into Half & Half until it looks like a pot of hot cocoa.
2. Add sugar and Whole Milk.  Bring to slight simmer and remove from heat.
3. Add Raspberries and chill for 3-6 hours.
4. After mixture is aged and completely chilled through add to ice cream maker and follow directions of your particular model.
5. Freeze until set.



Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream


2 cans light coconut milk
1/2 cup of sugar
3 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder

1. Bring coconut milk to a slight simmer and remove from heat.
2. Add sugar and Cocoa, stir until fully dissolved.
3. Chill for 3-6 hours.
4. After mixture is aged and completely chilled through add to ice cream maker and follow directions of your particular model.
5. Freeze until ice cream sets.


Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream...YUM!

No comments: