Monday, March 17, 2014

A quiet St. Patty's Day in

Every year on St. Patty's day I like to eat corned beef with cabbage and potatoes. This year I already had this meal for a Jewish holiday called Purim. (Which, by the way Meg, was delicious!) So this year I decided that I would do a variation on the classic corned beef dinner and have a Reuben and fries all the same ingredients in a slightly different configuration. 

Well going forward I quickly realized that I didn't have the time money for corned beef. So I took a different route and came up with a new recipe.

The Fresh and Fast Non-Reuben

2-3 slices of Pastrami
1 slice Provolone cheese
Fresh Pickles (see recipe below)
Matchstick Carrots
Homemade thousand island dressing

Fry the pastrami in a skillet on med heat. After the meat is hot place the cheese on top. Then assemble the other ingredient on the sandwich to your liking.

This delicious sandwich I am calling the Non-Reuben because it has a lot of the same qualities and flavor of a Reuben using only one of the same ingredients.
I hope you enjoy!

Fresh Pickles:
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Bay Leaf
2 cloves of cracked garlic
1-2 Persian Cucumbers (thinly sliced)

Combine and refrigerate for 20 minutes to 24 hours.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never made pickles without salt before. This sounds tasty, will have to try it soon! This sounds much tastier than the usual Reuben - I'm not a sauerkraut fan, but the carrots are a great idea!

Kristen Arnold said...

I'm not a big fan of carrots either. I was nervous about the pickles because I didn't have dill but with the pastrami and the homemade dressing I was surprised that it was salty enough.